So we have this question "What is Kikuhiko's sexual orientation?". when it was posted it used retag because the series tag didn't exist. after confirming that the series was Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju i tagged it as descending-stories following the list here
In general, my preference would be for the following system. In descending order of preference, we should generally:
- Use English name. If there is an official English name which fits in 25 characters, we should go with that. Subtitles can be omitted in general.
- Use English abbreviation. If the English title exists, but it does not fit in 25 characters, and there is an official abbreviation of the English title which does fit, then use that.
- Use romanized Japanese title. Hepburn romanization is the standard method most of us use. Since macrons are not available without going to unicode characters (which is a bad idea) be sure to do these in the traditional style, e.g. ō should be replaced with ou. In Japanese word boundaries are sometimes ambiguous, but usually it's fairly clear where they should be.
- Use Japanese abbreviated title. This is going to be common for shows with long titles, like Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai gets tagged as oreimo. There are usually official abbreviations for series with very long titles, at least for those series that are fairly successful.
- If none of the above seem to fit, come up with something that works temporarily, e.g. the first N words of the title. Make a meta post asking for suggestions for a better tag name.
aside from going with the first item in the list my other reason for descending-stories was that shouwa-genroku-rakugo-shinjuu and showa-genroku-rakugo-shinju are both too long for the 25 character limit on tags. also like how Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia's japanese release name is Ar tonelico: The Girl Who Keeps Singing at the End of the World (アルトネリコ世界の終わりで詩い続ける少女 Aru toneriko Sekai no Owari de Utai Tsuzukeru Shōjo) can be shortened to just Ar Tonelico by dropping it's subtitle i figured that Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju was a subtitle and could just be dropped
however Aki Tanaka may have found a better name